Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Eating Unprocessed in a Processed World.

pb oats

Follow me on my whole foods journey!
Visit me in the kitchen to see what I'm eating, baking, and cooking
here.

Oprah isn’t the only one loving Steel Cut Oats for breakfast!

ABOUT OATS: Unlike quick rolled oats, steel cut oats haven't been steamed, rolled, or toasted. Nor have they been pre-cooked, dried, or sweetened, like instant oatmeal. Steel cut oats are whole grain goodness->the innermost part of the oat kernel. The most natural, least processed, making them the healthiest oat choice.

Can I just say that when this is baking, your whole house will smell devine.

steel oats

How I made it:

I preheated the oven to 400 degrees F. Put *2 cups of Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats in a large baking dish. Added 7-8 cups of water. Sprinkled some sea salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stirred. Covered with foil and baked for 35 minutes. I then checked and stirred it and put it back in the oven for additional 10 minutes, or until done.

*SERVINGS:

I like to make enough oats to have a muffin size portion every day for a week. This works with 2 cups of oats. If you prefer fewer servings, use 1 cup of oats and 4 cups of water.

steel cut oats strawberries

WHAT TO ADD TO STEEL CUT OATS once it's cooked? When you are ready to prepare your individual serving, anything goes! Fruit, spices, peanut butter, nuts, seeds, natural sweeteners. Experiment and find your fave mix.

WHAT DO I LIKE IN MY OATS? When I pop the muffin size serving out of the freezer (see HOW TO FREEZE below), I throw on a dollop of organic peanut butter and heat it in the microwave. Once it's ready to eat, I'm heavy on the spices (I stir in some pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg), add some nuts (walnuts, pecans or almond slices) and seeds (hemp or ground flax) and sliced banana.

HOW TO FREEZE: Put the cooked oats in a muffin tin to freeze. Once frozen, pop them out and transfer to small freezer bags. That way you can take one out at a time to enjoy for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

frozen oats

COUNTING CALORIES: If you are counting calories, a 1/4 cup of dried Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats is one serving and is 140 calories.

No comments: