DIY Natural Coconut Lip Balm
This is a fun easy project that you can do with your children, friends, or family.
Creating your own healthy lip balm has never been so easy.
According to naturally savvy.com, it's estimated a woman will ingest about four pounds of lipstick and lip balm in her lifetime just from wearing it! Did you know that some well known brands of lipsticks contain lead in them? Yes!
To check the health rating of your lip balm or lipstick, click here.
This recipe makes 5 lip balm tubes.
What you need:
- 3 tsp white beeswax beads
- 5 tsp non-hydrogenated coconut oil
- 6-7 drops of essential oil of your choice (I like orange)
- 5 lip balm tubes
- small funnel
- 2 small bowls that you can put aside and use just for your balms
- Melt beeswax in microwave.
- Melt coconut oil in microwave.
- Once the coconut oil and beeswax are liquified (they will look like a clear liquid), stir them together. Mix well.
- Add essential oil.
- Stand up lip balm tubes on your counter.
- Put the funnel in your first tube and using a spoon, spoon the balm mixture into the funnel. Go slowly--it doesn't take much to fill a lip balm tube!Gently take out the funnel and spoon in the last few drops into your lip balm tube until the balm mixture is at the top of the tube. Leave caps off until they fully cool.
- Once they cool, put the caps on and store balms in refrigerator for a few hours to set. Because these DIY balms can melt or soften in hot or very warm setting (sitting in a hot car), I sometimes store them in the refrigerator when they aren't in my purse.